Useful Herbs for Cancer In Dogs
Herbs for Cancer in Dogs can be used to help support and strengthen various organ functions (e.g. liver functions, lymphatic functions, etc.) in the dog’s body.By strengthening these organs and supporting their functions, the overall immunity will be improved and the dog will have more energy and vitality and will be more physically able to fight the cancer.
- Red clover has been hailed as “the” herb for cancer by many herbalists. The herb has tumor-inhibiting properties and strengthens lymphatic functions (crucial in cleansing cell tissues).
- Burdock root supports and stimulates the liver, therefore facilitates waste and toxic removal from the body. It is also a very safe herb for prolonged use.
- Alfalfa has been found to reduce the risk of cancerous growths and is therefore considered a good herb for cancer prevention.
- Dandelion is a diuretic herb that helps waste removal via the kidneys and urinary tract. It also improves digestion and removal of waste by providing gentle stimulation to the liver.
- Milk thistle is a liver-supporting herb. It can protect the liver against harmful by-products of the cancer. Studies have found that milk thistle is effective in protecting the body from liver damage resulting from chemotherapy.
- Ginger Root effectively blocks the promotion of cancerous tumors.
- Turmeric was found that turmeric extracts completely inhibited further growth of the cancer cells in the colon. In fact, turmeric is now being hailed as a useful herb for treating colon cancer in people.
CBD Hemp Oil: While continuous research is still being done on the effectiveness of hemp oil to help treat cancer, anecdotal reports are promising. Hemp oil may reduce pain associated with cancer, strengthen the immune system, and reduce cancer cell growth.
Essiac Tea: In the 1920s, Canadian nurse Rene Caisse promoted Essiac tea as a natural cancer treatment, claiming that it was given to her by a patient who originally received it from an Ontario Ojibwa medicine man.
Though the tea is still said to be a Native American natural remedy, evidence to back up this claim is limited. Essiac tea is a blend of different herbs, including burdock root, slippery elm, sheep sorrel and Indian rhubarb.In addition to its purported anticancer properties, Essiac tea is also believed to enhance detoxification, boost immune function and reduce inflammation
The four main ingredients have all been associated with various health-promoting properties.
- Burdock root: This root contains compounds shown to promote blood circulation, improve skin texture and stabilize blood sugar.
- Slippery elm: Revered for its medicinal properties, slippery elm is rich in disease-fighting antioxidants and may aid in treating inflammatory bowel disease.
- Sheep sorrel: Also known by its scientific name, Rumex acetosella, sheep sorrel has been shown to have potent antiviral properties in test-tube studies.
- Indian rhubarb: One recent animal study found that Indian rhubarb is high in antioxidants and may inhibit the growth of liver cancer cells in rats
There are quite a few other herbs that support and enhance a weakened immune system.
- In Astragalus: This herb is an immuno-stimulant. It can be used to boost your dog’s immune system. In addition, it has been found that astragalus contains an alkaloid that inhibits the spread of melanoma, a skin cancer.
- Garlic: Garlic has a lot of sulphur-containing compounds (thus the strong smell!). These compounds are helpful in enhancing the immune system. It has also been shown that garlic stimulates the growth of beneficial cells.
- Green tea: Green tea has been found to be effective in boosting and stimulating the immune system. It is also an antioxidant and astringent and has been shown to be an effective herb for cancer (especially for some kind of stomach and skin cancers).
- Mushrooms (e.g. Reishi, Shiitake, Maitake, Turkey tail): Mushrooms, especially reishi, has been used for many years in China and Japan as herbs for cancer prevention and treatment in people. Recent research has found that these mushrooms can enhance the immune system, due to their high levels of polysaccharides and their effect on white blood cells. In addition, these mushrooms have been found to possess anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and antioxidant properties. The University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School conducted research on the use of the herb Turkey tail to help dogs with hemangiosarcoma with positive results.
- Mistletoe: Mistletoe is being used in Asia and Europe for a wide range of health conditions in people, including regulating blood pressure and enhancing the immune system. Also, in Europe, this herb is commonly used to treat cancer.
- Cat’s Claw: This Peruvian herb has recently been found to possess not only immune enhancing properties, but also antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-tumor properties.